March 25, 2011

The Wise Man's Fear, by Patrick Rothfuss














Hardcover, 994 pages

Published March 1st 2011 by Daw Books

ISBN 0756404738 (ISBN13: 9780756404734)

Primary Language: English

Source: Purchased from Barnes and Noble

Warning: There may be some very minor spoilers but I'll try to avoid them...

My name is Kvothe.

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

So begins the tale of a hero told from his own point of view — a story unequaled in fantasy literature. Now in THE WISE MAN’S FEAR, Day Two of The Kingkiller Chronicle, an escalating rivalry with a powerful member of the nobility forces Kvothe to leave the University and seek his fortune abroad. Adrift, penniless, and alone, he travels to Vintas, where he quickly becomes entangled in the politics of courtly society. While attempting to curry favor with a powerful noble, Kvothe uncovers an assassination attempt, comes into conflict with a rival arcanist, and leads a group of mercenaries into the wild, in an attempt to solve the mystery of who (or what) is waylaying travelers on the King's Road.

All the while, Kvothe searches for answers, attempting to uncover the truth about the mysterious Amyr, the Chandrian, and the death of his parents. Along the way, Kvothe is put on trial by the legendary Adem mercenaries, is forced to reclaim the honor of the Edema Ruh, and travels into the Fae realm. There he meets Felurian, the faerie woman no man can resist, and who no man has ever survived...until Kvothe.

I was browsing through Border's one day when a wise old man stopped me in the aisle and asked if I'd read "The Name of the Wind". When I replied that I hadn't, he lifted the book, which I swear he hadn't been holding when he approached me, and placed it in my hands. He said, "You will." And walked away.* Intrigued, I turned to the back to read the blurb, where the opening paragraph caught my attention: "My name is Kvothe. … You may have heard of me." I was hooked, what can I say? I took it home, and left it sitting on my bookshelf for a good 6 months. When I finally got around to reading it, I kicked myself for putting it off so long. I have been anxiously awaiting Day 2 for a little over a year.

In The Wise Man's Fear, we see a lot more of Kvothe at the University. He gets into the swing of classes, and continues to be plagued by the empty state of his purse. He deals a lot with Devi, and gets closer to Denna. His friends prove how much they care for him, and of course, he uses his University access to try and learn more about the Chandrian who killed his family.

But as the blurb indicates, after yet another run-in with Ambrose, he takes a semester off to roam the countryside. And as would be expected, it is out in the world where he learns the most valuable information. He learns how to fight, how to love, and most importantly I think, how dark his soul can become. I really enjoyed his adventures. Tempi was probably my favorite new character from this book. The land of the Adem was interesting, and I got a good chuckle over the "man-mother" comments.

I love Rothfuss' storytelling. Most of the novel borders on poetic. In fact, the interplay between Kvothe and Denna often takes the form of verse (are these two EVER going to stop dancing around each other?). The prologue really got to me, too. I’ve gone back and read it half a dozen times now.

Favorite quote from this book: "I am trying to teach you. Stop grabbing at my tits." I laughed for two days at that.

*You would be surprised how often wise, old men approach me in bookstores.

1 comment:

  1. I find it rather awesome that an old man pimped The Name of the Wind to you in a book store! Best book story I've heard in awhile!

    ReplyDelete