March 12, 2011

Reading Meme - Day 07

Day 07 - A Writer You Don't Like

**I really don't like putting a black mark against someone on the net, but my opinion is my opinion, so take it or leave it. I should have put this disclaimer before the last author bashing I did, so I apologize for that.**

The one writer I know I don't like is Robert Newcomb, author of the Chronicles of Blood and Stone. The first book in the trilogy, The Fifth Sorceress, made me so angry after reading it that I haven't been able to look at any of his other books without cringing. The Fifth Sorceress is a violent and bloody tale of a world where all women are evil and only men can be trusted. Robert Newcomb appears to have some serious hatred of the feminine, and the violence that fills the tale is completely gratuitous. The author even spends a lot of time describing how the evil sorceresses do horrible disgusting things just for the sake of shocking the reader. As I've mentioned before, I can't NOT finish a book I start, but this was one of the few I wish I had.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, man, I think I had completely blocked that book from my memory. I read the first book in that series and thought, "Hm. Killing off your most wonderful baddies is probably not a good idea... Not sure where you're going there. Oh, and you seem to have a problem with women...." And then I tried to read the SECOND book, and thought, "Wow, that's REALLY misogynistic". To this day that is the ONLY book I have ever ruined. It sat in my car until the glue melted and the pages all fell out so that I would be justified in throwing it in the garbage where it belonged. I have read books that I have disliked before, and books that spoke to me in emotional ways that disturbed me, but this is the only book I have ever felt a true revulsion for.

    ReplyDelete