May 7, 2011

The Mage in Black by Jaye Wells

















Paperback, 326 pages
Published April 1st 2010 by Orbit
ISBN 1841497576 (ISBN13: 9781841497570)
Source: Purchased

The Blurb (www.goodreads.com)

Sabina Kane doesn't have the best track record when it comes to family. After all, her own grandmother, leader of the vampire race, wants her dead. So when she arrives in New York to meet her mage relatives, the reunion puts the fun in dysfunctional. Not only is mage culture completely bizarre, but everyone seems to think she's some kind of 'Chosen' who'll unite the dark races. Sabina doesn't care who chose her, she's not into destiny. But the mages aren't Sabina's only problem. In New York's Black Light District, she has run-ins with fighting demons, hostile werewolves and an opportunistic old flame. Sabina thought she'd take a bite out of the Big Apple - but it looks like it wants to bite back.


"The Mage in Black" opens immediately after the closing events of "Red-Headed Stepchild" with Sabina, Adam, and Gighul fleeing across the country in an SUV, trying to get to the safety of New York City and Mage-Central before vampire assassins catch up to them. Sabina is wary of meeting her newfound Mage family, but is willing to take the chance. Especially considering vampire family is currently actively seeking her head on a plate. She is surprised to find an ally in not only her twin sister, but also an old boyfriend (who, when they last parted, stole a great deal of cash and left her in an awkward position), who happens to be a pretty decent guy. Even if he does run a demon fight club.

Yes. Just like the movie. Only with demons.

Sabina spent a great deal of time throughout this book whining about not belonging and not fitting in and complaining about her life not being like it used to be. I feel like if it were me, I would have been thrilled to find myself surrounded by people that didn't want to kill me, and I wouldn't have spent all my time complaining to anyone who would listen about how unfair everything was. "Ewww, mages are gross, why do I have to do mage things even though I'm half mage and have mage power???"

While it's true there was a person or two that wanted her dead, her inability to trust and work with people ended up causing a lot of heart-ache in the end. More so than would have happened had she just accepted her new role in life.

That's not to say there wasn't a lot of action and suspense. I love me some explosions and demon-fights. There was more than enough mystery over who was behind the intrigue to keep me interested, and Gighul still cracks me up, especially when he meets his soul mate: a vanity demon who changes into, of course, a peacock.

Luckily, the massive cliff-hanger in the end didn't leave me in too much of a lurch, as I had the third installment loaded on my Kindle, ready to go. I might have been slightly upset if not for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment