May 8, 2011

Green-Eyed Demon by Jaye Wells

















400 pages
Published February 22nd 2011
Primary Language: English
Source: Purchased

The Blurb (www.goodreads.com):

The clock is ticking for Sabina Kane. She has to save her sister from her mysterious captors. And in order to do that, she has to broker a deal between the mages and the vampires before all hell breaks loose.

But as much as Sabina is focused on surviving the present, the past won’t be ignored. Before she can save those she cares about, she’s got to save herself from the ghosts of her past. Because the past is haunting her. Literally.


After the suspenseful cliffhanger of "The Mage in Black", I was expecting quite a lot from the start of "Green-Eyed Demon", and I was disappointed to find that several weeks pass between the end of the last book and the beginning of this one. The team has basically been driving around looking for leads that lead nowhere.

Luckily for everyone involved, however, they do find a lead that leads them to: New Orleans!

There's a lot of sexual tension building between Adam and Sabina, and I understood her hesitation, even if I found it frustrating at the same time. Giguhl is still his snarky self, providing comedic relief at just the right moments, and not surprisingly, deep and thoughtful personal advice when Sabina needs it most.* Additional comedic relief was provided by the New Orleans cast, even if the voodoo priestess and drag queen struck me as a little too stereotypical "New Orleans Experience" at times.

There's a good sense of mystery about this book. I enjoyed the step-wise clue gathering interspersed with Sabina getting pissy and knocking some heads together, even if I was frustrated and disappointed with her mood swings and decision to go rogue later in the book. The final battle in the end was pretty exciting, though, so it made all the frustrations at Sabina's attitude worth it in the end.

When the next volume comes out, I will certainly be reading it, though I can't say if I'm on the edge of my seat for it.

*If you can't tell, Giguhl is my favorite character.

No comments:

Post a Comment